Articles

Architecture - Commercial

Historically, our community was preplanned with principles generated from progressive philosophical movements arising as a result of the excesses of industrialization in the late 19th century. The Garden City and Arts and Crafts Movements influenced Powell River's planners of 1910 in regard to the location and architectural style of our homes, parks, green belts, commercial buildings and recreation facilities. Townsite homes built before 1930 depended on add-on and decorative elements for articulation and architectural interest. For example, the use of roof brackets, add-on porch structures, boxed windows, and decorative porch and veranda posts and balustrades were common. Click on a  photo to the right for a write-up and photos of commercial buildings built in the early part of the 1900’s.

DWIGHT HALL

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Powell River has always had a ballroom which, in this very social town, has served as a community focal point and the place to hold most events. The original ballroom was built in 1911 and was located on the second floor of the Company Stores.

BANK OF MONTREAL

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

During the depression years, the Powell River Company requested a loan from the Bank of Commerce to undertake the expansion of their facilities. Unfortunately, the Bank of Commerce turned them down. The Company went to great lengths and expense to find a bank which would provide them with the required loan.

COMPANY STORE

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Another of the first buildings to be erected in Powell River was a simple and functional Frontier style structure which housed dry goods, groceries and offices.

PATRICIA THEATRE

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Built in 1928, the Patricia Theatre has been characterized as exuding subdued elegance. The external architecture was designed in the Spanish Renaissance style, highlighted by the ornamentation on the upper external facade. No other buildings in Townsite have these unique features and styling.

ST JOHN'S CHURCH

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

The construction of St. John's Church was the result of the residents of Powell River pooling their resources together to build a nondenominational place of worship.

ST JOSEPHS CHURCH

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

In 1916, three years after the completion of the nondenominational St. John's, the Catholic community pooled their resources to build St. Joseph's Church and Rectory.
As well as providing all the clear timber needed to build the structure, the Powell River Company also provided a large sum of money to see the building completed.

ST LUKE'S HOSPITAL

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

In the early years, Powell River's first hospital was located in a tent which was then replaced with a bunkhouse. After the arrival of Dr. Henderson in 1911, St. Luke's Hospital was completed in 1913.The hospital was located next door to Dr. Henderson's home.

THE FEDERAL BUILDING

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Due to the ever-growing significance of the Powell River Company, the Federal Government decided to erect a building compatible with the extraordinary structures existing in the town of Powell River. With a progressive architect and an open chequebook, the result was indeed worthy of the high standards to which the residents of the town were becoming accustomed.