HENDERSON HOUSE

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

The home referred to as Dr. Henderson's House was one of the first two homes completed in Powell River in 1911. The Powell River Company's architect at the time, Mr. Ingermann, had been asked to create a home worthy of a renowned physician.

The design was modelled after the Craftsman Style, a style which grew out of the Arts and Crafts Movement and complimented the Garden City approach then being established in Powell River. The interior of the home, however, was given a "no expense spared" treatment and featured such appointments as a circular staircase.

Dr. Henderson accepted the position and moved his practice from Minnesota to become Powell River's first practicing physician. Shortly after his arrival, an extension was added to the left side of his home to accommodate a waiting room and examination room. (The stairs leading to the waiting room are visible on the right side of the photo).

The home and property were given to Dr. Henderson as part of the Company's incentive plan and as such Dr. Henderson's home was the only private residence in the Powell River community.