The town of Powell River itself was preplanned on blueprints as early as 1909. The prime mover behind the town's development was the Powell River Company, which was responsible for preplanning, constructing and providing for most of the community's needs.
Once the construction of the pulp and paper mill was underway, construction of the company town began. The construction proceeded methodically, block by block, with up to seven homes being built simultaneously. The progress of the town's construction depended on the economic conditions of the mill in any given year. The year 1930 marked the completion of the preplanned Garden City.